Study in USA: Position in the International Educational Milieu
The US is the destination of choice for many students wishing to pursue higher education. Its strong liberal arts system and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) programs ensure that students can be educated across diverse disciplines. The listing of an American University on someone’s resume indicates that the person has advanced English language skills, in addition to having valuable intercultural experience. It indicates that the individual has studied in one of the best (and one of the most competitive) higher-education systems in the world (and survived) and that he/she has learned to troubleshoot and has knowledge of the latest practices within his/her respective fields. Study in the US doesn’t just provide overseas students with tangible degrees and certificates, it enriches their experience and lays the groundwork for maintaining a positive attitude in a multicultural and highly-globalized world; the acquisition of soft skills is almost a given.
Advantages of a US education
- Excellent international reputation: It is no secret that US institutes are ranked among the best in the world. American Universities are exceptionally well-funded and maintain high academic standards. Their rigorous requirements ensure that their students get exposed to the best in academia. The US has one of the finest University systems, buttressed by outstanding (and continually evolving) programs in virtually all fields. The country is a leader in many areas of research and technology. While studying in the US, students are exposed to advanced technology/research.
- Flexibility: In contrast to other countries where students are required to declare the field of study while applying, students in the US are typically not required to declare their major until the completion of their second year of study. This provides students sufficient time to explore the entire academic landscape before settling on a major.
- Personal approach to the curriculum: Small-sized classes are common; there may be as few as 10‒20 students in a class, giving students the personal attention that they need in order to succeed. This close relationship between students and faculty helps foster a personalized approach to curricula.
- Range of general education classes: Most Universities in the US require students to take general education classes that provide students the opportunity to study an extensive range of subjects and not just their major field of study. These courses range from writing to science classes etc., ensure that students graduate with a well-rounded education.
- Internships: Universities in the US offer internship programs that enable graduate students to get hands-on experience in various areas, thereby enabling them to kickstart their professional career.
- Experiential learning: Many Universities in the US provide Experiential learning, an engaging learning process whereby students “learn by doing,” followed by reflecting on the same. Activities in Experiential learning can include—but are not limited to—hands-on laboratory experiments, field exercises, practicums, studio performances, undergraduate research, and study abroad.
- Excellent support facilities: There are efforts to allow overseas students to stay on in the US after they graduate, so that these students can attempt to pursue a career at some of the biggest companies in the world. Now, graduates from STEM fields can stay on for 24 months in the US to get work experience and (if possible) extend their stay.
Return on Investment
- Degrees and certifications from the US are considered prestigious globally. The return on investment for education is generally high for a US degree because institutions work hard to marry classroom learning to actionable plans and outcomes.
Here, we have put together a list of public schools in the US that offer the highest return on investment in terms of tuition fee.
- SUNY - Maritime College- Throggs Neck, NY
- Colorado School of Mines- Golden, CO
- Georgia Tech- Atlanta, GA
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy- Buzzards Bay, MA
- South Dakota School of Mines & Technology- Rapid City, SD
- New Jersey Institute of Technology- Newark, NJ
- Missouri University of Science and Technology- Rolla, MO
- University of California- Berkeley, CA
- California Poly- San Luis Obispo, CA
- University of Massachusetts- Lowell, MA
- Texas A&M University- College Station, TX
- University of California- La Jolla, CA
- Virginia Tech- Blacksburg, VA
- College of William and Mary- Williamsburg, VA
- University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, IL
- Stony Brook University- Stony Brook, NY
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology- Socorro, NM
- Michigan Technological University- Houghton, MI
- Montana Tech- Butte, MT
- San Jose State University- San Jose, CA
- Oregon Tech- Klamath Falls, OR
- University of California- Santa Barbara, CA
- Purdue University- West Lafayette, IN
- University of Maryland- College Park, MD
- Southern Polytechnic State University- Marietta, GA
- University of Texas- Austin, TX
- University of Maryland- Baltimore, MD
- University of California- Irvine, CA
- CUNY Baruch College- New York, NY
- University of Virginia- Charlottesville, VA
- University of Washington- Seattle, WA
- West Virginia Tech- Montgomery, WV
- The University of Alabama- Huntsville, AL
- University of Michigan- Ann Arbor, MI
- University of California- Davis, CA
- University of California- Los Angeles, CA
- Rutgers University- New Brunswick, NJ
- Clemson University- Clemson, SC
- SUNY at Binghamton- Vestal, NY
- George Mason University- Fairfax, VA
- The College of New Jersey- Ewing, NJ
- University of Alaska Fairbanks, AK
- University of Colorado- Boulder, CO
- University of Delaware- Newark, DE
- University of Connecticut- Storrs, CT
- North Carolina State University- Raleigh, NC
- University of Minnesota- Twin Cities (Minneapolis), MN
- Louisiana Tech University- Ruston, LA
- University of Texas at Dallas- Richardson, TX
- California State University- Chico, CA
Something for the Indian students
- A college for every budget and every dream
- January (Spring)
- September (Fall)
- May (Summer)
Most popular courses
- Business Management
- Computer Science
- Finance and Accounting
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Physical and Life Sciences
The US provides a range of scholarships for international students. Scholarships in the US can be broadly categorized into two types:
Government Scholarships: As the name suggests, these scholarships are put together by the US government for international students.
- Foreign Fulbright Student Program
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program
Non-Government Scholarships: These scholarships are provided majorly by universities. You would have to check with your desired university if they have criteria for scholarships. We have put together a list of non-government scholarships for supporting study in the US.
- AAUW International Fellowships
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program
- Tata Scholarship
- Amherst College Scholarships
- University of Oregon Scholarships
- UC Global Scholarship
- American University Scholarships
- #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship
- Civil Society Leadership Awards
- David P. Shapiro Autism Scholarship
- Preply Scholarship
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship
- Wesleyan Freeman Asian Scholarship Program
- Rotary Peace Fellowships
- Bat and Ball Game Women’s Sports Scholarship
- MIT-Zaragoza Women in Logistics and SCM Scholarship
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship.
- Brandeis University Wien International Scholarship Program
- Clark University Global Scholars Program
- Emory University Needs-Based Scholarship Program
- Harvard University Scholarships
- Illinois State University International Awards
- Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships
- Michigan State University International Scholarships
- New York University Wagner International Scholarships
- University of Arkansas International Scholarships
- University of Minnesota International Scholarships
- University of Oregon International Scholarships
Safety and Health
A new report in the Institute of International Education (IIE)’s COVID-19 Snapshot Survey Series points to increasing optimism among institutions in the US for a recovery with respect to enrolment of international students at US colleges and universities. Data indicate that the vast majority of institutions in the US intend to bring overseas students back to the campus, with 86% of the institutions planning some type of in-person curriculum for fall 2021; 62% of the institutions are planning for hybrid curricula, i.e., in-person and virtual classes; 24% of the institutions are planning for exclusively in-person classes; none of the reporting institutions intend to offer solely virtual instructions.
Why Trust OAKS OVERSEAS?
OAKS OVERSEAS helps students by connecting them with experienced counsellors who can support them throughout their journey (right from search to enrolment). As one of the South India's leading overseas education consultants, we understand the wants and needs of aspiring students. The extensive footprint of OAKS OVERSEAS in the field overseas consulting is a testament in itself to its dedication to supporting individuals wishing to study and/or work in the US to achieve their dreams, and OAKS OVERSEAS takes great pride in its endeavours.
Our comprehensive guide ensures that the students’ desire to study abroad is fulfilled in the most effective manner possible. We help students select where they want to study, the courses that are the best for them based on their budget, interest, and time at hand and guide them in making applications.
OAKS OVERSEAS takes care of a cache of formalities, visa, and work-related issues; these include (but are not restricted to) the following:
- Work in the US (both fulltime and part time)
- Post-study work visa in the US
- Spouse visa for the US
- Permanent residence for the US
- Visit visas to the US
- L-1 visa
- F-1 visa
- F-2 visa
- M-1 visa
- M-2 visa
- J-1 visa
- J-2 visa
- Work authorization
OAKS OVERSEAS provides the latest visa updates for Indian nationals, thereby ensuring that individuals who avail our services are afforded the latest information in terms of international regulations, resulting in their making the best decisions regarding their careers.
Interested in availing the facilities of OAKS OVERSEAS for working/studying abroad?
Do get in touch with us. Please fill in your details and we will get back to you within 24–48 hours.